View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Don't know what you bought, but IME (playing since 1962, 40+ years as a teacher in the public and private sector) a hollowbody or semi-hollow is a good first choice for an acoustic player making the transition to electric: similar size/feel, natural acoustic response (albeit at a lower volume), and installing heavier-gauge strings (11's or heavier, preferably with a wound G) not only offers more acoustic volume and a warmer, "woodier" tone when plugged in, but a stronger signal to the pickups - and since we're on the subject of strings, flatwounds will allow you to set the action significantly lower than roundwounds (making the guitar much easier/faster to play - a handy little hack all those fleet-fingered 1950's jazzers and rockabilly cats knew )...

Looking forward to your NGD...
Well, I can hardly call myself an acoustic “player” since I’ve only been at it about 5 months, but I am SO psyched about what you wrote and the choice I finally made. All will be revealed...

And thank you for the information regarding the strings. I know it comes with 10’s, but I don’t know if flatwound or round. I will probably leave it as is for the first little bit while I get used to her and then we will see about strings. Many, many thanks!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom