View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 07:52 PM

Default update

I've done six coats of I Can't Believe It's Not Lacquer. Between each coat, I used 400/600 grit sandpaper. The owner suggested 220/400, but the 220 seemed aggressive. After about 5 coats, it started to get more of a natural smooth feel. I've been curing in direct sun and found that it needs about 20 mins of exposure to lose the tacky feel. It does clog the 600 sandpaper pretty quickly, although someone else had better experience with wet sanding. The product comes out of the jar with a consistency a bit like maple syrup or maybe honey if it is cold. I have been brushing it on, scraping with a credit card, and then absorbing excess with applicator pads. I can get a pretty even coat. It is worth the extra time to really smooth it out when wet because it is not the most forgiving of products if you weren't paying attention and left a glob. You can get rid of the witness lines with sanding enough to satisfying someone that doesn't look carefully, but, if you are a semi-perfectionist type that inspects really closely, you will still see it.

I love the convenience of the product, but I do have some concerns about the sun exposure being tough on the wood. The guitar gets quite warm and when I put a sponge inside the guitar to re-introduce moisture, the sponge dries out quite fast. You can use the flashlight, but I don't have the patience and I don't think that it cures as well as direct sun. A coatings professional in another forum was speculating that it is important with this product to make sure that it really cures and that there is not any uncured coating in the deeper layers.