View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Default Help me spend my money for my (likely) last good guitar….

I figure I owe myself one more while I can still play. I’m primarily a steel string player, but I have all the dreads I need and I’m hoping that my new-ish Emerald X20 has covered the smaller body steel string niche. I’m planning a direct side-by-side comparison to confirm with some OM/000 sized possibilities. Don’t need any help figuring out the options there.

But I go back and forth on the nylon string guitar issue. Started fifty years ago with a cheap classical. Bought and foolishly sold a Pono crossover a few years ago. Have a beater level crossover and a couple of virtually new Cordoba C7s (one cedar, one spruce) that I’ll be moving on due to incompatibility with 2 inch nut.

I know there are tradeoffs, but I don’t know enough about the nylon string market to know what my options are. Here’s my wish list in order of importance. I’d appreciate any suggestions on what to look at. I’d hope to play before I buy.

Only mandatory items are radiused fretboard and less than 2 inch nut.

Unamplified tone much more important than amplified

Really prefer something other than standard natural top. Have all of those I need. I’d like something similar to the Martin Ambertone or shadetop vibe. Not big on normal sunbursts.

Mild preference for some type of pickup, but no barn door and no obvious warts.

Cutaway preferred but not mandatory

Indifferent to tonewood. Solid tonewoods assumed. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Spruce or cedar top OK. No all hog (not even sure there are nylon all hog)

Don’t know enough to have a preference on bracing

Don’t care about brand unless it is pricey, in which case possible resale is a consideration

No preference on new or used. Don’t care about vintage.

Price limit is $2000. Might go up a hair for a perfect option but if it gets above $2500 I’ll likely go back and take a hard look again at the Emerald X20 Nylon. I have played one and know it fits the most of the criteria but didn’t want to take a flyer at $3500+.

Current guitar stable is 3 dreads including 1997 HD28, the Emerald X20, a decent beater 000, one cheap hollow-body electric, the two Cordoba C7s, and an entry level Ibanez crossover.

I play mostly as vocal accompaniment although I’m dabbling in alternative tuning Celtic type stuff.. Fingerstyle (no picks) if I’m alone. Flatpick or thumb pick and fingerpicks if playing in a group. Mostly bluegrass, classic country, acoustic blues, older rock/pop stuff.

Thanks for any suggestions.