View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Another member who has the same brand guitar as I do mentioned when he first got his Avalon that it was harder to play. I immediately thought, it must be the setup and mentioned that. He said no, it is actually just harder to play, it takes more work.

So I scratched my head over that one, but didn't let it stop me from evaluating Avalons online. I decided to buy one and I'm really happy about the robustness and tone of the guitar. The one drawback is.......

its harder to play.

And it's really kicking my butt a bit. I was just recording myself in a practice session and on playback I hear every little movement, finger on string (not squeak), hand movement on back of neck, right hand fingertips on wound strings, etc, etc

Then I recorded the same thing using my D-120ce (about a $2,000 downward difference in retail) and I hear almost none of the offending sounds, but of course I don't hear the clarity and brillance of the Avalon either.

Back to the woodshed I guess. I'm not letting the Avalon sit and gather dust

I would ask for tips, but it'd be like asking directions on how to get to Carnegie Hall...

Practice, practice, practice.
Classical presents the same problem. If the fingernails are not conducive to a silent release I hear it. I have a small practice amp with an earphone jack that gives me the opportunity to listen and correct on the fly.