Thread: Mixing advice
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2018, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Can you tell me what impact the room is having in terms of sound, so that I can try to be aware of it and look elsewhere for improvement?
It really depends. You may hear an echo or a hollow sound, but a bad room can also show up as just a harsh sound, which is kind of what I'm hearing here. It can be tricky to predict how a room will sound, because mics hear things differently than our ears - we tend to compensate when we're listening and can ignore a bad room sound to some extent, while the mics won't. I don't know how much of your recording sound is due to processing and how much is due to the room - but I suspect the biggest difference between your target and yours is the room. You may be able to partially overcome a bad room by micing closer than you would normally - pretty much how I handle my you tube videos, which are done in a pretty standard untreated bedroom. Try spaced pairs about 15-20 inches apart and maybe 6-8 inches from the guitar. You might also post the raw track before any processing in Auria, which would make it clearer whether it's the room or post-processing that's the problem.