View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

You should have the Windows default audio playback and recording devices set to a different device than your Zoom R8. Your computer should have its own audio device built in to the motherboard.

To make the changes, open Windows Control Panel (type "Control Panel" in the search bar next to the Start button and select the "Control Panel" app from the results). Click "View By Large Icon" in the upper right, and then double-click the "Sound" icon. Then, under the "Playback" tab, right-click on your computer's built-in audio device and select "Set as Default Device". If a different device is not available, you may need to install sound drivers from your computer manufacturers website. The computer audio device can also be disabled/enabled in your computer's BIOS settings, but it is almost always enabled by default.

Under "Control Panel", "Sound", I also recommend setting a default recording device under the "Recording" tab that is different from your Zoom R8 if one is available.

Then, you will need to go into your Zoom R8 interface in Windows and manually select which audio drivers you want to use (the ASIO R8 drivers). This may not have changed.

After these changes, Windows will use a different audio device for playback than your Zoom R8. This is desirable because it will prevent possible playback and recording artifacts (like pops, clicks, stutters, freezes) caused by Windows sharing your pro audio interface's sound drivers.

To hear sound from other Windows applications like YouTube, you will need to have something connected to the audio output jack of your computer. This could be a second set of speakers or a secondary input of your pro audio monitors. The best solution would probably be to plug a stereo cable from your computer audio output into one of your Zoom's stereo inputs, and then mute/unmute that input when you want to hear sound from other Windows applications.

I don't own or use a Zoom, and I have a very different setup, so hopefully I am providing some helpful advice. I am assuming that the Zoom works like a typical USB pro audio interface.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut

Last edited by Cocobolo Kid; 02-13-2020 at 11:19 AM.