View Single Post
Old 08-06-2022, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Every fit is individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwills57 View Post
Hi, AH Acoustic--Beautiful recordings. Just wondering, from an ergonomic perspective, how you found this guitar. I like a bigger guitar, but I'm getting older and wondering more about issues related to guitar size and playing comfort, issues which, honestly, I never considered 10 years ago...so I thought I'd solicit your opinion while the guitar is still fresh in your mind. Thanks and Best, Jack
Thank you for the compliment, Jack.

To your question:

I am adding to my original response, which is included below for context:

Update: In short, for my own personal case, I have zero concerns about long term comfort with Rebecca's Mod D. There are thoughtful design elements in her Mod D which make this the most comfortable large guitar I have ever played.

While I do play the Mod D seated, my preferred position is actually standing, with a strap. I have found this approach to drastically alleviate risk of posture or shoulder issues over the long run. Others use guitar supports, which function ergonomically as well -- however I have come to appreciate the freedom of being able to change position in the room as the mood strikes me.

My original response, which would be applicable to others fitting a guitar:

I wish I could give you a definitive answer, however fit is so personal that any comment that I make should fall secondary to your own personal experience. That said, I have these thoughts:
  • I have also preferred larger guitars historically -- however was absolutely struck by the resonance and depth of Rebecca's Concert body example and her parlor guitars (of which I played 2), as well as her Mod D. Her mid- and small body instruments challenged my notions of how the various sizes could sound, built by capable hands.
  • To be quite honest, my preference for the Mod-D in this case was likely a combination of preference for scale length and distinctive tone woods involved, rather than body size alone.
  • Regarding choosing a body size - there truly is no substitute for holding the respective sizes, which is only one of the reasons I feel like the trip to meet Rebecca was so worthwhile. If you have any opportunity to try the models your builder is offering, that would be my best suggestion. Trips are fun, and educational.
  • As has been mentioned, Rebecca's Mod D design adds some curves to the traditional dreadnought shape -- not only in the narrower waist, but also the progression of the curves from the tail block, as well of the shoulders from the neck heel.
  • I would recommend you carefully consider your own personal reasons for preferring larger guitars, historically, and weigh those against your lingering concerns about fit.

-a.h.

Last edited by AH Acoustic; 08-06-2022 at 05:15 PM.