View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jilm View Post
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I think I am going to get a small mixer big enough for a duo and just run the QSC for now - I need some time to work up my set and get my acoustic chops up anyway.

Researching the Soundcraft Notebook-12fx and the Allen and Heath Zedi10fx now. Soundcraft is 100 bucks cheaper, so I am trying to figure out why I would choose the A&H over the Soundcraft as we speak.

I do wish I had the disposable cash for the Bose, though.
I have a Soundcraft Notebook 8fx and an A&H Zed 10fx and an A&H Zed 60-14fx.

I've had the Soundcraft for a short time and the Zeds for a few years.

The Zeds have proven to be reliable, I prefer the USB, EQ and FX features on the Zed. My two Zeds can be setup as a Master and a Slave mixer, this gives me options when setting up for added musicians, mics and for stage setups. I do sample home recordings with my Zed via the USB to my PC. All channels on the Zed record, as far as I can tell, only two channels on the Soundcraft will record via the USB. Tone wise, I haven't done an apple to apple test. My 10 fx is setup on my main PA that I use for recording, practice and gigs. I've never had any complaints about sound quality when gigging with the Zeds. My full gig setup is, Guitar-Pedal Board-Zed-Pair of Yamaha DBR12 for the mains and a DBR10 for the monitor. The Soundcraft, as mentioned in previous post is setup with lesser quality gear, yet the sound is good. The Soundcraft doesn't have an on/off button, I have it connected to a power strip that does. I haven't yet used the Soundcraft live, it will be another week before I use it for hosting an open mic.

I use to have an Alesis Multimix USB 8fx. The Soundcraft is very quiet, no hiss, whereas the Alesis was noisy.

EDIT:
For the past few hours I've been doing head to head testing between the Soundcraft Notebook 8fx and the Zed 10fx. The Zed wins by a good margin. I've used a number of different configuration with and without pedals, external eq's, acoustic amps, different guitars with different types of pickups and different speakers. I can't get the Soundcraft to sound as good as the Zed by just plugging straight into the Zed and using a single Yamaha DBR12. The eq's on the Zed are superior to the Soundcraft. If the Soundcraft that you're looking to get is just a larger version of the one I have, I would say, spend the extra hundred bucks and get the Allen and Heath.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

Last edited by Irish Pennant; 01-01-2018 at 07:20 PM.