View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 05:03 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Thanks, Mary and Mikey!

Today I was doing a dry fit of the top under pressure in the go-bar deck and I had Joey helping me, handing me the rods and sticking a mag light in the soundhole to see if any light was leaking through between the top and sides. His favorite thing right now is banging on an old set of bongos that were left to me from my dad and I showed him how a guitar's body is kind of like a drum by knocking lightly right where the bridge will go. It was definitely one of the better father/son moments.

As for what's next, the top is almost ready to go on for good. I just have to chisel away at a couple of places, then sign and date the underside for posterity. I also need to print out a label to glue inside that will be seen from the soundhole. I just haven't decided what to call it yet. I hope it turns out to be a family heirloom though. I know many luthiers like to keep their first for sentimental reasons.

John Kitchen once showed me the story about Joan Baez's Martin parlor and how a luthier who once repaired it wrote "too bad you're a communist" underneath and backwards so that it could be read with a mirror. It's got me thinking of writing my boys a little message in my own build.
Like "This sound hole is not for Orange Juice"