View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for a bunch of interesting answers, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merak View Post
AC power is created by the motor driven alternator then converted to DC, the DC is turned back to high frequency AC by the controller which optimizes the waveform for best performance.
So, the "controller" functions as an inverter? If the controller optimizes performance, it does so by choosing exactly when to change the waveform?

Rodger, I looked at the HRV and even drove it. I liked it, but I'll probably end up with a Toyota. I think the first hybrid that attracted me was the Highlander which I believe was the first SUV hybrid Toyota made. At least, it was the first one I remember. I'm amazed that the Highlander, like all of them, just gets bigger and bigger.

I know batteries can be costly. My brother has an electric vehicle and his battery failed. Fortunately, it was still under warranty, so it didn't cost him a dime. But their replacement does eat away at the gas savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spivey View Post
Kerbie, please consider that if you get a hybrid car, one day, you may smack yourself on the forehead and say "I could have had a V8." That's all I've got.
I hear ya! My dad would have agreed with you! I never owned a V8. My current one is a V6. That's as close as I can come.

At one dealership, I've been referred to their lead service guy. It's amazing how many blank stares I've gotten when I've asked about how the engine and motor work together, even from guys who have sold cars for 20 years.