View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 12:02 PM

Here's one from left field so to speak...

Consider classical music on steel string. If you can find music that moves you, that's the key.

Started out playing only ragtime blues finger style and still enjoy it very much, but found some really timeless classical pieces that I find myself playing even more.

Some examples - mostly all from YouTube, often I find several arrangements, then put together my own version -- and I'm not shy about improvising endings or beginnings I like better.

It just broadens your abilities, the music can be very moving, beautiful and timeless, too. I play the pieces with a lot of feeling.

Some examples: Bach Boureé, Matteo Carcassi - Caprice in Dm, John Renbourne’s Earl of Salisbury, Bach - Air on a G string, and Michael Chapdelaine's version of Romanza. Also purchased his TAB for Lagrima.

I also sometimes have to just develop my own arrangements for music I want to play and can’t find, or can’t find an arrangement I want to play — “As time goes by” for example, Charlie Chaplin, “Smile” is another. I added a creative ending with a melody line moving to a diminished chord resolving into a major chord up the fingerboard.