View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
My question to the OP is what are you planning to use the Alix with? PA system, home studio etc. No matter how good your preamp or guitar and pickup system the final outcome on your tone will be dictated by your speaker/playback system. It's like the tires on a car.

My other suggestion when comparing two pieces of gear is to do a blind A/B test where both units are set up in parallel and have someone else switch switch between them. The truth is that it's quite easy to fool yourself when comparing. Sometimes a better quality unit may not live up to it's full potential if the entire system isn't in the same league. This also goes for the player as well.
I have several Martins all equipped with KK passive pickups. DI Box Strymon Reverb boxes AER 60 amp/Fishman Mini (I have at least 2 of everything for backup reasons) I push reverb further than most but struggle with "going too far" I figure a really nice DI box can help me find that "line" I have never attempted dual-source and would prefer not to UNLESS tone would improve dramatically.