View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 11:10 AM

While it is you who is in charge of technical matters, so of course these are important in your mind, the reality is your audience is going to be way more into personalities than technicalities.

The aspect of making your performers feel as welcome as possible is probably going to be more important to the overall success of your open mics than how magnificent the sound is going to be.

Really, without doing a sound check for each performer, chances are sonically things will never be great. But the audience isn't going to care. They're going to care about what's going on in the moment with whoever is playing.

As someone relatively new to hosting and playing open mics, I have been constantly astonished that some of my best received performances are when I really went into the unknown, playing some song I never or barely rehearsed, just cause it seemed like the time to bring it out. It almost seems open mic audiences are more impressed with a performer being in the moment than a perfectly played performance or a perfect sounding performance.

So, sure, sweat the sound ... but not at the expense of the overall experience.