View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 01:02 PM

I'll chime in and add to the happy chorus.

I'm extremely picky and demanding of my tone. I prefer a multiple mike setup for recording but have found mikes are too impractical for live performance. I used to use a dual (UST and internal mic) source system, which was quite good, but still difficult to properly set up and balance.

When I went to the K+K pure mini I felt like I had 85% of the quality of my dual source for 10% of the hassle. A worthwhile tradeoff indeed, yet one always hopes for more...

Now with ToneDexter, I completely surpass the dual source quality level while enjoying the plug and play aspect of setup.

My best results so far have been with small diaphragm condensors (Line Audio CM3 particularly) while the large ones have been good but not great. The one exception so far is the ISK Starlight - sounds so good that I now need to try it for serious recording as well.

Does it sound exactly like a microphone? Super close, but for my ears, not there yet. However, it is closer than anything else I know of, and I doubt anyone who is not trained to hear the differences would notice.

If I was producing a live recording of my own music, I would use this for sure. If I was going into a studio, I would still opt for a miked setup. I expect this technology to progress, so my answer today may change over time.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci