View Single Post
Old 03-19-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

Body position: The only thing I could spot was that your left shoulder looked a little tense and your left elbow tucked in a little.

The tool kit: Your approach of at times practicing small chunks out of sequence is the correct one.

The speed: ...So, playing something slowly and then gradually building up speed is not necessarily the most effective approach. I would suggest you start learning small segments at the full 100% speed.

BTW, what guitar are you using in your video? You coax a wonderful tone from it!
Thanks Robin!

Good spot with that left elbow - I *think* I was doing that to 'improve' the filming angle! But I will check my 'usual' playing position too.

My initial learning of the piece was all small chunks, so I've already done a fair amount of going over each part in isolation. Doing that again, but adding the speed makes sense. As does pushing it to see whether my slower mechanic works for faster tempos -- so far it's a mixed bag, the up/down runs seem to speed up fine, but parts with inside/inside picking do not.

The guitar is a Larrivee OM40 (elixir PB 12s, Primetone 1.4 pick), and I have to say that I'm really loving the plectrum sound. Every time I go back to fingerpicking it sounds a bit quiet/dead until I get used to it.

Thanks again for the thoughts and kind words.

Tom