View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
hey there. just ended up making a deal on a 2012 PRS SE 245 to jump back in to the world of electrics. I haven't done any modifications previously, all my electrics in the past (all 4 of them? lol) have been stock, as a mostly acoustic only player.. but I enjoy them. and I know that I'm going to want to switch out the pickups on this guitar. I'm open to doing other mods along the way, but.. basically, right now I just can't afford a $2k American PRS (which is truly what I want!) or boutique electric, so I'm willing to sink a little money into getting myself as close as I can. What pickups would you guys recommend? I like the look of covered humbuckers, so keep in mind that whatever I do put in there, will likely have the plates/covers. I play a mix of classic rock, rock, older stuff, nothing super heavy, blues rock, original writing, stuff like that. a little reverb, and switching between half clean and half driven, fat tones. I'm thinking Duncans or DiMarzio, but.. I have to admit, I don't know alot about pickups.

Any resources as far as places I might go to look at information or guides etc? Any OTHER mods that you would recommend right out of the gate, in order to affect the playability and or feel of the guitar? It doesn't have to be perfect but I would like this thing to eventually be very, very good. Due to budget restrictions I'll likely be tackling one thing at a time, not smacking down a grand to overhaul everything at once.

Hoping I can tap into yalls wisdom here and come away with a real winner : )

Thanks
SC
I just found out that PRS now has the 57/08 humbuckers for sale (as mentioned in my NGD post)...if I remember right, they're selling for $219.00 apiece...and they are STUNNING! Very much like a NOS PAF but a bit brighter.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass