View Single Post
Old 09-10-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
...I love Gretsch but I'm a huge P-90 fan and the Epi is cheaper...
Same here - got a Peerless-built Carlo Robelli (Sam Ash house brand) ES-5 knockoff, 2011 Gibson limited-edition LP '60s Tribute goldtop, and a Godin CW II - but unless somebody at Epiphone's Chinese factory finally woke up you might find the neck troublesome over the long haul. Unfortunately, when Epi moved production from Korea to China circa 2008 they also adopted what they like to call the "Slim Taper D" neck - in actuality none of those, instead being a cheeky, chunky, thick-shouldered hard-D profile that appears to have been designed with the hand structure of a chimpanzee in mind; I own a 2012 Ultra 339, and while the pickups are excellent (every bit the equal of the first-generation PAF reissues I had in my '86 SG '61 RI) I can't play it for more than 20-30 minutes without incurring serious hand pain - as good as it looks/sounds, IME if you're used to the rounder/friendlier contours of a Gretsch you might want to do an extended workout or three (as well as a side-by-side A/B comparison) before you make your final decision...