View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 06:21 PM
Guest 928

Default hybrid classical guitar strings

The traditional classical nylon string guitar now has a number of variations--hybrids that take from both steel and nylon string development. The new nylon hybrids have cut-a-ways, a bit narrower nut width, various scale length, and so forth. I am an advocate for what's called "cross-over" nylon strung guitars.

Until recently there were no hybrid strings to match hybrid nylon string guitars. Enter The John Pearse Folk Series featuring a Thomastic-Infeld string, at $18.17. Expensive yes, Great? Yes.

The T/I strings are a hellishly clever mix of steel and nylon. Three of the strings are bronze wound on a nylon core. Three of the strings are nylon wound around a steel cord. These are definitely hybrid strings.

I've been messing with them for a few years now. At first I loved them, and then I was not so sure. Now, I've come back to loving them.

You can play blues on these strings, and you can play classical. The bass is beautifully classical while the trebles let you accentuate the highs.

The only problem with these strings (other than their incredible cost) is that the high e tends to fall apart--either at the tuners or at the saddle. The reviews of the T/I strings commonly mention the high e problem.

I just bought a set of the Thomastic-Infeld Classic S strings and will see how the high e does. In any event, I recommend the John Pearse Folk Series if for no other reason than playing and hearing a genuine hybrid classical/contemporary guitar.