View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed422 View Post
My X7-OS has no truss rod. Is yours a custom?

Ed
Not sure if custom is the word, it's just one of many options when you order. 2 of Emerald's models come with truss rods standard. All the other models can have them if you just request it. Same as you can request having all gloss with weave showing or not, different tuners, pickups, colors, and almost anything else you can think of for reasonable extra cost. (colors are free of course) Want 7 strings? 9 strings? 12 strings? Nylon strings? Just ask and it's likely possible.

If you buy used, it will be whatever it was, but a growing number of people request truss rods so there will be more with truss rods available used in the future, just like anything else.

Hollow necks can bother some people who have certain playing styles and a few people mentioned this in the past over at the MacNichol's forum. But for myself and my style and most other players, it doesn't bother at all. If your playing style finds sounds you don't like with the X7's--then you'll have to move it on, I suppose.

Having a truss rod installed during the build might remove some or all of this issue as I think (I'm not certain) that Alistair needs to add "something" inside there to stabilize the truss rod.

I've owned X7s with and without truss rods--but as I mentioned--the sound of the hollow neck simply doesn't impact me at all. Someone else who has been bothered by hollow necks and who has played with and without truss rods might be able to answer if the truss rod versions are better for them.

I'm not sure if Rainsong's and CAs have hollow necks but Emerald's and Blackbirds do for sure--so that issue will be there also. Someone out there will chime in and clarify this hopefully.