View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 08:12 PM

It's been awhile since I had a NBD--I tend to keep my bikes as long as I keep my acoustic guitars--but I sure love riding mine. At my age and condition, a long walk (or even a lot of standing) is uncomfortable, but a bike ride feels great and I feel it helps my arthritis in general (including my hands) as well as my general mood.

My main ride is an older touring bike with wider tires (700x42) which is also comfy riding around town. For winter and the one time I tried some singletrack off-roading, I have my newest bike, a 3 year old fat bike with 4 inch tires. For nostalgia's sake, I have a 1951 Raleigh Sports that I bought in 1978. In general I'm a big user of "un-skinny" tires. Smoother ride without the need for suspension, better flat avoidance, braking and handling, and really not that big a performance/efficiency hit as was once believed.

Anyway, there's no requirement for cycling to be "serious" and to the degree that serious doesn't mean fun I'm not sure I'm in for it. Enjoy your new ride!

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 06-01-2019 at 08:20 PM.