View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I don't understand how people who spend so much on guitars and other associated gear can wear them down so much. I don't break strings and I don't wear down picks.
In a similar but opposite vein, I don't quite get how folks who spend so many thousands (in some cases, TENS of thousands) on guitars can get all bent out of shape about spending $35 on a pick. Obviously if someone tries expensive picks and doesn't feel or hear a difference, they may decide to go back to their Primetones or Fenders or whatever. But to reject the very IDEA of a $35 pick when playing a $5000 guitar doesn't compute to me. I have three electric guitars and one acoustic and i think I have about $5000-6000 in my whole setup, including amplifiers. I looked askance at $35 picks until I tried a few - now they're whats for dinner, so to speak. I probably have a total of about $300 in picks, could probably sell a few and get that down to $200, and I may never have to buy another one if I continue not losing them.

People who don't play guitar think it's madness to spend $1000 on a guitar, people who do play gladly spend three or ten times that much if they have the money easily available. I've been through it with bicycles and cameras too - if you know what you like and you know the difference, you often get what you pay for. Obviously a great guitarist will sound better on a cheap guitar than a mediocre guitarist will sound on the best guitar on earth, but if the mediocre guitarist has the $$$ and can appreciate the difference between an OK and a great guitar and the great guitar will inspire him or her to play more and enjoy it more, more power to them. Same with picks, I say, which are a relatively tiny expense compared to most expenditures in this hobby/activity/profession...

-Ray