View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
I would imagine if you've gained some proficiency playing at various places on the fretboard in various keys then you "know" most of the frequently used chord shapes, you just don't call them by name. There are certain patterns that often occur when anyone plays the guitar in standard tuning. Many of those patterns form major, minor or seventh chords or slightly variations (names like "sus4" and "add9") but if all you've done is play songs in a solo style then you've never needed to say "Oh, that pattern is a Cmaj7" every time your fingers form the pattern that most of us would call "Cmaj7".
Yes that's what I've been experiencing. I recognize the patterns that my fingers form when I play, and I kind of know that they must be part of a chord, just that I don't have a name for them.

ljguitar, can you elaborate a little bit more on the hole thing?

I'm sorry if I'm asking some silly questions. 1 month's worth of guitar exposure isn't much.

Ahh, I wish I lived in the states. I'm from an Asian country and over here we don't get much exposure to American fingerstyle. Most people either play classical or just strum. I'm eyeing at Mark Hanson's 'The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking' and am trying to get it from a book company in Singapore that imports books from the states.