View Single Post
Old 07-08-2022, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Good to know Duplemeter. Nothing like first hand experience. I look forward to that review.

As far as what I am looking for specifically? Well that is always a tough to answer.

After many years I came to the realization that " What we think we want...and what we need are often two different things."

I owned a mid seventies U87 that I bought brand new back in the day(sold it years ago). While I thought it to be boring...it always came through for voice and acoustic guitar. I wanted more exciting. But exciting can sometimes come with a price. Usually something that sounds exciting begins to cut into your ears like a knife with long term listening. Short term...at first...it sound great. But then you come to the realization that the Exciting, it really not that good.
Agreed - we don't always want what's best for us...and not just in mics. I think we all have those stories...

I hear what you're saying. When you get a character mic, something exciting, you are forever married to that character. And, if you're not planning on buying a dozen mics to cover all the different characters, I think a neutral mic and a good EQ are a far better choice. (even if the EQ is a plugin).

I'm a huge fan of the Neumann TLM67. It's honest, but not boring and takes EQ very nicely. One of the few instances where you will hear my say anything good about a transformerless mic.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele