View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Janey, Don't You Lose Heart by Bruce Springsteen (cover)

This song is from the B side of the single "Glory Days" by Bruce Springsteen in 1985. "Janey, Don't You Lose Heart" was suggested by chippygreen here on the AGF when he commented on my thread in Show & Tell on Bruce's song, "I'm On Fire" from a couple weeks ago.

I tried to do this as an acoustic song, but to me it just didn't sound right. I left a couple of channels of my Taylor 514CE in the recording, but I also overlaid my Rickenbacker 360 12-string. For me, that brought the song to life. The Rick 12-string is also two recordings, one left, one right. The Taylor acoustic sound tends to thicken up the sound of the Rick 12-string, but otherwise, at least for me, it's hard to hear the acoustic guitar in there even though it is mixed at a higher level than the electric 12-string.

With the electric 12-string it sounds as if the late Tom Petty were doing a cover of a Bruce Springsteen song to my ears, except with my singing voice.

I did the sax solo from the original Bruce recording using a Fender Stratocaster since I can't play the saxophone at all. This is such a basic rock & roll song, sort of in the mode of Buddy Holly. With drums and bass and electric guitar, it has sort of a street dance sound to it that I remember so vividly from my college days in the late 1960s. The sound is kind of infectious.

I hope you like this -- thanks for listening. And thanks to chippygreen for suggesting this song. I hope he feels that this came out well.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 01-25-2020 at 09:39 AM.