View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE" View Post
Thank you for the replies.

Although I have not set it up yet, I already bought a Rode NT1A mic, without thinking about the noise issues - which perhaps was a bit stupid.

Ideally I would like to make professional/broadcast quality recordings, although I recognise this might be something of a stretch given both my equipment and far from noise proof enviroment. I want to do vocals plus acoustic, plus maybe bass, underlied with a computerized drum beat.

The traffic noise outside my flat is constant, but heavy drapes might be a good idea.
As suggested in the post above, building "gobos" is also an option. If that's more than you want to do, the heavy drape and then something like a doubled moving pad behind you if there's a reflective surface there will help, along with the close micing.

If you add bass and percussion, a lot of noise will get buried in the mix. It's really just those exposed solo parts, like the long guitar chord fade at the song end, where it's hard to manage if too loud. But, even then you can often just automate the fade a little faster so the noise doesn't rise above the real content.

Good luck.