View Single Post
Old 12-14-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Out of curiosity, when you say "song," are you talking about an instrumental piece or a song with lyrics?

I can see where the choice of guitar becomes much more critical in an instrumental piece. For me, it's much less so in songs with lyrical content. For an instrumental piece, the voice of the guitar is the most important element. For a lyrical piece, the singer is the most important element, the quality and efficacy of the lyrics is second, and the tonal property of the guitar comes in third, imo. If you're adding additional instrumentation, the guitar tracks will have frequencies rolled off to make room for other things. That would make issues you might have with some guitars less critical to the final mix.
These are complete songs with vocals, drums, and bass at minimum added, and I agree with your point depending on the song.

For this song the guitar rhythm is the backbone of the song and has parts where it is solo, like the intro, pre-chorus etc. For this reason it really needs to stand out as quality and be warm, full, and clear.

I'm going to continue experimenting with mic positions today.

Last edited by Ncbandit; 12-14-2019 at 10:56 AM.