View Single Post
Old 06-22-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Yes, both of you offer great information...and also Scare me a bit! ha ha....This whole compatibility thing drives me crazy! I am already worried about getting my programs up and running on the new computer.

But some relatively good news. So I went to Best Buy and asked to speak to their most knowledgeable person on compatibility of monitors with Mac. What I got was a very young person whom was not familiar with the problems listed in the video, but is a quick learner-researcher. he spent oddles of time with me and We watched through the video at the store together.

Here is what he believes:
He believes that the problem he is having is mostly due to using a 13 inch mac book M1. He says that when you are relaying to a bigger screen, the program is still set for the Mac's smaller screen. Thus it is using the a program that was made to maximize the screen quality of the 13inch. Plus he believes the ram on that particular unit is small and thus this is another reason why he was having problems.

He further stated that he does not believe the Mac Studio would operate in this matter since it does not come with a screen. He does not think I would have a problem with any monitor I choose. ( I will further research this at the apple store )

However, is was all thumbs up for Frank's Suggestion to purchase a QHD...which I learned stands for
"Quality High Definition QHD is specified as 2560x1440 pixels at a16x9 aspect ratio, four times that of 720p standard high definition."

QHD would not be good for gaming as the refresh rate is much lower...but the viewing quality is good. Since I will not be watching television or gaming on it...this might be a good solution for myself.

If I get into video production later...well then I can always buy a 4k set.

I have lots more research to do...and still welcoming suggestions & further thoughts and discussions.
I think I may have been unclear or you are misunderstanding me. With two computer monitors of the same size: the higher the resolution, the smaller things on your screen will be. Most DAWs let you "Zoom in/out" which is handy with their main screens. Plug-in control windows however don't always offer that. MacOS lets you scale at the operating system level a higher resolution screen so that it shows things at the larger size of a lower resolution screen, which is a good thing, but if you find you budget for computer monitors is limited you may be paying for higher resolution and not making use of it. And you're aren't going to be going into the operating systems settings every time you open up a plugin with lots of tiny controls.

Now if I had infinite money and space, I'd have multiple, reasonably large highest resolution available screens. I don't. The Mac system using two monitors which I use to do video editing and orchestra pieces with lots of VIs and plugins has one at 1920x1200 on the right and one at 2560x1440 on the left. Just by dragging a plugin or VI window over to the right monitor (lower resolution) the unzoomable/resizable window is in effect magnified and a sight for my old feeble eyes.

Note: I'm not knocking 4K monitors or even necessarily a larger and highest resolution screen, just pointing out that two screens have advantages in some situations, particularly when cost is a factor.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....