View Single Post
Old 12-08-2021, 07:56 PM

Time for a long overdue update! This build will start this week, yippie!

I found to the Pink Ivory Parlor at BIG to be one of the most responsive, dynamic, loud for its size and alive feeling guitars I have ever played. There was a certain quality (not really sure how to describe it), but the notes just popped off the fretboard. While it may not be a do everything guitar, and there are some frequency limitations due to the box size, the bottom line is that it was tons fun and magical to play.

Early on during the Pink Ivory Safari we bagged one set. Thanks for all the suggestions! During the hunt I spoke with Rodger Bucknall, Bill Tippin and Marc Mainguard who have all built with Pink Ivory and they all agree that it is a remarkable tonewood. Regrettably (but also understandably) they did not have any sets that they were willing to part with. Bill has a set and Marc has a few, so anyone looking for this unique wood should hit them up for a build. The region the wood comes from is a war zone and that combined with the recent over harvesting means that it will continue to be more or less unobtainium.

The AAA set I got early on from a supplier in South Africa is what we will be using. Rebecca likes the set and says the sides are especially nice. We may incorporate one left over piece she had from the last build (nice and clear vs the knotty set I procured).

We also have Red Cedar from the same billet for the top, further enhancing our chances recapturing the magic

Standard neck shape "Medium C"
1.78" Nut Width 2.29" String spacing
Sound Port
Cutaway
Mini Bevel
Macassar Ebony Fretboard, Binding
Brazilian Rosewood Bridge
Antique Gold Gotoh 510's with Ebony buttons

We're finalizing the layout of the back pieces and then onto the rosette.

Thanks for reading!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 286 4 piece jumbo unique colour and grain.jpg (37.2 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg orig_mockup.jpg (45.7 KB, 327 views)

Last edited by inc0herent; 01-11-2022 at 09:26 PM.