View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 08:39 PM

Before I got my ToneDexter, I had (still have, if somebody wants to buy it) a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI. It is definitely true that Aura "images" from different guitars can yield results that are strange (to say the least) and sound terrible. Fishman recommends looking for similar guitars to try images from (since you're forced to use their limited library). But the best image I ever found for my Dreadnought cedar/wild cherry Seagull S6 was (as I recall) a spruce/mahogany Taylor GA. Go figure.

I've never used anyone else's WaveMaps on my ToneDexter. But I lurk the TD threads pretty hard, and I've never heard of anyone getting those sorts of terrible results (like I got with the Aura) from their ToneDexter. The Audio Sprockets algorithm appears to be far more forgiving. Using WaveMaps across guitars seems to work pretty well most of the time.

A place to swap WaveMaps online sounds like a great idea. James May has been MIA on the AGF for a little while, but if he reads this, it might not be a bad idea (if it's not too much expense/work) to set up a forum there for discussion and exchanges of WaveMaps.

Just my .02