View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
It appears you need to do some different reading. If you check credible sources you'll find the common metals in phones and antennas are among the most recycled. Recycled copper is same copper. Same for aluminum, stainless steel and more. It's not like recycled clothing and paper fibers.

An iPhone 4 used a different infrastructure than current wireless carrier networks. Carrier networks differ in quality and by location. It's an inappropriate comparison. In a lot of places you only have service for more modern protocols.

If you want quality for the most part you have to buy a top tier phone activated on a top tier network. You have to make sure the carrier has good coverage where you spend your time. The top tier phones have the best best components and not choosing one also puts you at risk of not getting software patches later.

Good luck!
I don't know much about the technology but I remember about 8-9 years ago the various networks were having trouble dealing with the increased demands for data that the new smartphones were creating. AT&T service in New York City was notoriously bad in the early days. But the irony was, Verizon had much more reliable coverage but the call quality was TERRIBLE. Even in my small town outside of Philly, I tried switching from the only sort of reliable AT&T to the much more reliable Verizon, and the reliability was off the charts, but I absolutely hated talking to anyone on that phone - the sound quality was that bad. I was using it for business and it just didn't cut it.

Fortunately now things are much better as I guess the infrastructure has caught up to demand. I know from experience that the network AT&T and T-Mobile have been using has gotten much much more reliable. I don't know, but assume, that the call quality on the network that Verizon uses has also improved? And now I guess phones are getting capable of using pretty much whatever network is available. I know that T-Mobile and Sprint used different networks and there was no compatibility between the two, but now they're merging so one would assume you could get a phone that would work on their whole combined network. So whatever it is about the technology that's allowing that to work, it's gotta be a good thing...

-Ray