View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostwriter View Post
I finished doing a basic set up on my older Guild D16 and it feels and plays great with no buzzing. However in checking the string height at the 1st and 12 fret I found it to be:

1st fret - 1/16 and 12th fret - 2/16 on Low E

1st fret -1/32 and 12th fret - 2/32 on the High E

with the first fret capoed and the 12th pressed down it looks like 1mm on the high E and barely readable in mm's on the low E at the 6th fret

Doe the low string sound like it is too high or too low based on the 6th fret reading?
I've set up many more guitars than I can count, and other than measuring classical guitar string height at the 12th fret, I've never measured string height, so I can't comment much on your measurements.

However, the best way to find out if nut slots are cut deep enough is to fret the string PAST (on the wrong side) of the second fret, and lightly tap the string between there and the nut until it touches the first fret. There should be a couple hairs of height above the fret. G-strings tend to need a bit extra height, and lower strings can sometimes be left higher than others.

If the action is really high due to the saddle and lots of neck relief, your non-fretted string height above the 1st fret will be higher than the same guitar with very little neck relief and a low saddle. Hence, the non-fretted string 1st fret string height is mostly a meaningless measurement.

Bruce Cockburn was a client of Ring Music where I used to work, and for the first guitar of his that I set up I was instructed by the owner to leave Bruce's bass strings higher because he plays with a heavy thumb. Hence, the required measurements will have variance based upon the guitarist's needs (and sometimes the guitar).

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia