View Single Post
Old 12-02-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I agree. The nuts are the same width within 1/64", but the likelihood of Emerald and Taylor using the same fret board radius and nut slot width is pretty low.

That is exactly how I do nut slot depths on a six string, plus I sometimes use some stacked feeler gauges under string to prevent going too deep as I very slowly file the slots. I am pretty confident about setting up the primary strings, just am not sure about how best to handle the octaves. Ned's post gives me some clues. I just don't have much real experience with twelve string set-ups.

I am thinking about buying this gauge from Stew Mac to make really accurate measurements of nut slot depths on my Taylor, then duplicating each slot depth on the Emerald on a brand new nut. http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...ing_Gauge.html
Save your money and don't buy the tool. Most top builders I know, have met, have learned from do NOT use such a tool, but use the same technique suggested above in this thread.

Also, just cut the slots individually to the correct depth for each string. Other than slight compensations (ie: I leave thicker strings a BIT higher than thinner strings), the string bottoms should be pretty darn close...

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia