View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Its interesting that you mentioned your original Matrix system developing a hum. Of the many under-priced guitars which I've bought off ebay over the years, the most common thread has been a Fishman UST system with a hum. Having the shielding compromised and developing a hum seems to be the Achilles heel of the Matrix and Prefix systems.

I tend to like the touch response of a soundboard pickup better than the touch response of a UST. However, if you tend to prefer a bassy sound and you need a high level of feedback rejection, a UST will be the better choice. In my own case, I have two guitars which have both choices available. They are equipped with both a soundboard pickup and a UST, each going to a separate jack.
When you say "Under-priced" it makes me think that the Fishman UST pickups were most likely the cheaper sonitone pickups. I wouldn't read too much into my comment though. Mine developed hum after eight years of gigging. I will admit that I don't love how the Matrix is wrapped in a shielding that could rip but I think if it had major issues with hum, it wouldn't be such a well known and used pickup.

My guitar also has two jacks. I don't love that it does but at the time when I wanted the Expression System out, a second jack was the only way. I am going to put the Dazzo in the second jack. I think I prefer the attack of a UST just due to the fact that it's more immediate and responsive.