View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I haven't had a GAS attack in a couple years. I like the guitars I have. Oh, I have been kicking around the idea of a smaller carbon fiber guitar; not that the Shorty is huge.

I have been considering an Emerald X7. I've signed up for their "Road Trip," when they're ready for that - great premise for a company that doesn't have dealers anymore.

But, it wasn't a "hot" situation. Then, they posted that cocobolo veneer X20 on Facebook... I almost wet myself. I contacted Sean at Emerald to see if they could do an X7 with the cocobolo veneer... yep.

The downside (for me) of that situation is: there is a 4 month lead time for that. I have committed for another boat job, starting in June. It will last 'till September. If I ordered a guitar right now, it would probably be done about the time I'd be wrapping up, then we plan to do some land traveling. The thought of a guitar being ready, and me without an address to ship it to?? Nope, that doesn't work for me.

I told Sean that I was originally thinking an Opus Series, until I saw that cocobolo. I saw they had two of them (X7 OS) on their eBay store - and both sold right away. He mentioned they have an X7 OS with a pickup, ready to go, right now. Ohhhh... it could be shipped tomorrow, and there would be no wait for the build. If the Irish and American Postal Systems play nice, it could arrive in a week or so. That alone could be worth the price of admission. Sold!

Over the past month or so, I have PMed a couple of the CF participants here who have an X7, trying to determine the neck feel. Watched plenty of videos, trying to get a feel for the size and sound. Sean at Emerald has patiently answered my questions. I know I like smaller guitars these days. And carbon fiber. The scale of the X7 will fall right between the GSmini and the Shorty/522ce. I really like the idea of the beveled arm rest.

So, now I wait. But, not for long. Hopefully.

Jim
Oh I've got an X7 Opus GAS attack brewing.......Specifically looking for something CF-indestructible between my GC7 and GS Mini

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240