View Single Post
Old 09-06-2015, 03:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am a bit disenchanted with the classical at the moment as humidity issues have interrupted my progress with the top, and it is looking like I'll have to strip the braces off the top and replace them. That is unusual in my experience. Climate change?

But I have remade the experimental tailpiece on the archtop as well as finessing the bridge. The new tailpiece also facilitates a Schertler Stat-V PU. That's V as in violin, but I am quite happy with the result on this guitar. The PU is tiny, and it it inconceivable to me that it has a measurable effect on on acoustic performance, which seems greatly enhanced by the rethink of the various part, by the way. If it does seem to have an effect, no matter, as it removes completely in a few seconds, though it is a hair trickier getting it back in position.

There are a series of holes in the ebony end block which allow the height of the cable pivot to be changed (w/o tools) and thereby changing the down force on the top. I tried the highest setting first, and while the guitar was extremely responsive, comparatively (roughly like a flat top), it lost some to punch I demand from an arch top. The lowest setting provides huge punch, but isn't particularly fun to play on, and the middle setting (where it is here) makes me giddy I like so well!

Schertler Stat-V:

With and w/o the PU:

The bridge: