View Single Post
Old 04-12-2020, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Cool Check This Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
You might also be interested in this old article by Tuck Andress:
http://archive.is/5Hrj8
- pretty exhaustive analysis! (shame no pictures...)
The Tuck Andress article is pretty much "everything you never wanted to know" about different pick-holding techniques! Worth a read (or a skim, at least) just to acquanit yourself with all sorts of different picking methodologies...

I started out with a thin Fender triangle, back in the late 50's... graduated to a medium Fender for years, then began trying out different brands (still medium) in the 70's... settled with a Gibson small teardrop heavy pick in the late 70's. Used those until somwehre around 2010 or so...

Due to all the discussion on this Forum about Blue Chip picks, I bought one of those around 9 years ago... still have it, still use it on everything except
my 12 string, and I like it a lot.

When I first got the Blue Chip, there was a period where I nicked the edge of it and could not stand that scratchy sound, so I began checking out other picks again... love the Ultex 1.14, but it just slipped out of my fingers far too easily. I tried sanding the holding area for a better grip, then tried drilling holes to make them easier to hold, even went so far as buying some "Bowler's Pro Grip" goo - which worked but tended to migrate to my middle and ring fingertips which I use for finger picking/finger style in my hybrid method... no good getting goo or rosen on the strings!

Since then, I've had Blue Chip "re-cut" the edge on my pick - which they've done multiple times now, at no charge! - so I've not been using the Ultex picks I have, much at all. I still love those Ultex picks, very durable and cost-effective, but they are BUGGERS to hold on to!

Grip pressure has a lot to do with success in strumming... if you imagine a ten point scale, where 1 is the pick falling out of your fingers and 10 is absolutely the tightest you could hold it, I'd guess that most players are somewhere within the 4-6 range.

Different tones from different grip pressures... light grip pressure gives you a thinner. more "click-y" tone, while stronger grips bring out more robust tones and more volume, too...

Ditto with "how much" of that pick tip is exposed...

It's up to you to choose how you want to "do it', what works for YOU...

As far as holding that pick goes, I've developed the method of moistening the thumb and forefinger slightly (usually with my own saliva!), rubbing them together a bit and then grabbing the pick... I've done that for so long that it's nearly an unconscious action at this point in time...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman