View Single Post
Old 05-23-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorse View Post
Oh wow, I've honestly never seen one before. It looks like you'd not want a permanent install, but seems like it's no bother to get in and out. Tbh, sound would come over looks for me, and from what you've said I trust that it's a nice sounding magnetic
Frankly I don't know whether I like the Sunrise or the DP139 better. The Sunrise has a little body sensing going on, the DP139 has a sweeter magnetic tone. I think they are both good and my opinion can change with the day.

I keep one of Dp139s and the Sunrise for when 'm up at my studio. And speaking of the studio, I've plugged my Sunrise into so many preamps up there that I can't count. I have Neve, BAE, Manley, Sebatron, Universal Audio, etc, and the Sunrise sounds good through all of them. When I used it live, I used it with my Grace Alix preamp (I didn't own the Felix yet, so I never dual sourced it).

But neither the DP139 or the Sunrise sound as good as the SA6 in my Martin. As I said, I just think it's a good combination. I did two gigs with that guitar this last weekend, and I was just dumbstruck at how good it sounded. In my house I tested the combo with my Bose Pro 16, but at my gigs, the Martin was plugged into my Schertler JAM 200. I was most impressed by the tight low'end, and how much mic I could get into the mix, which before when I tried it in other guitars, it seemed to give me more feedback problems. I might have to add a soundboard transducer and see what that does, will the sickness never end

When I was looking for the DP139 in the house to take a picture of it for you I couldn't believe how many acoustic pickups I had in my parts drawer. DiMarzio Angels, LR Baggs M1 and M80, Fishman Naturals and Infinity Matrix, K&Ks, Schertler DYN-G. As I said... a sickness!!! I keep them around just for fun, and every now and then I will try them in a new guitar.

Funny thing, I was going to put a Trance Amulet system in the Martin, and was just using the SA6 to check for intonation on my Peterson Strobe tuner. I like checking the tuning and intonation with a pickup better then the built in mic as I feel it's easier to lock onto notes. When I was done, and satisfied with the tuning, I tried it through the Pro16, I'm sure glad I did!