View Single Post
Old 12-26-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If you have some discretionary cash lying around, you might want to check out one of these:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Bugera/...r-Combo-Amp.gc

My band-practice/coffeehouse-gig amp (I use the big-brother V22 for everything else short of outdoor gigs - got a '65 Super RI and 100W blackface-Twin style Frontman 212R for that - but see my comments below) - more powerful than you think (but scales down to 1W/0.1W for home practice) with more creamy-sweet tube tone than anything this inexpensive has the right to have, and a set of old-school straight-ahead controls (gain/tone/volume/reverb) that'll let you call up your signature sound the way we both did back in the old days, without the need for a masters' degree in computer science. At $199 street you're not going to find anything better for anywhere near the price, I've seen it as low as $149 during holiday/coupon sales at the big-box/online retailers (I paid even less than that with a little in-person haggling), and with a set of high-quality tubes this little puppy can easily run with the boutique mini-boxes at four or more times the price...

BTW if you're a fan of "big-clean" blackface Fender/blue-check Ampeg electric guitar tone and/or need more dynamic range and headroom (PSA: "big power" in a guitar amp doesn't necessarily equate with ear-splitting volume and massive amounts of gain/distortion) one of these can still be had for well under $400 if you shop around (FYI prices are going up $50 in January, and some retailers have already started advertising accordingly):

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Bugera/...r-Combo-Amp.gc

Swap in a set of good tubes, and it will probably be all the amp you'll ever need...
I second the Bugera amp....really a versatile little tube amp for the money.