View Single Post
Old 06-15-2022, 11:11 AM

Ok, time for a knock-knock joke. Ready?

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Phillip Glass. Knock knock

Who's there!

Phillip Glass. Knock knock....

Repetition is a key musical tactic. Oddly, it can really highlight variation, even the slightest variation. The art and taste of this varies. Some people heard Glass' pieces as per this joke (and I laughed when I heard this joke) -- others hear the variations from the parts that don't and delighted in them.

A lot of pop music overdoes the repetition to my taste, but it seems to work for a lot of audiences there.

I just got done composing and realizing a short (1 1/2 minutes) piece based off two intervals sharing a root note between them. So super simple, but it caught my ear as I was composing it, and at that short length the change halfway through to the upper note really grabs more attention that it might otherwise have. Music, like any other artistic presentation is partly about controlling the audience's focus and attention.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....