View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 05:38 PM

Default Gibson J-29 with two top cracks - how to fix them ?

Hi all,

I purchased my Gibson J-29 about three months ago (online) and I was leveling its frets yesterday when I spotted 2 cracks on the top . I've attached pictures of both (they are next to each other) so I won't explain where they are (hope the links work).

The crack closer to the high E-string I can also see it looking inside through the sound hole and it seems to go past the bracing all the way to the neck insertion point . The other one seems to stop at the bracing (for now ...).

I ran quickly to check the pictures provided by the seller at the time of purchase and I could see the crack between G and B being there (now knowing where to look) - so the guitar came with that one. I couldn't see the other crack on the picture but those pictures were definitely taken looong before I made the purchase. So, who knows ...

Another thing that should have raised a red flag for me before putting the money down was the color of the top: very pink-orange, as if it was 30 years old, not 5 - a sign that it must have spent a significant amount of time in full sun and supposedly not enough humidity. A fact which I guess was responsible for the cracks.

So, after this long introduction, how can I fix those cracks ? Humidify the guitar for 2 months then put thin superglue (StewMac #10) over the cracks on both inside and the outside ?

Thank you !

Last edited by pick1; 01-03-2020 at 10:46 PM.