View Single Post
Old 09-02-2018, 05:52 AM

Reading a book on how to read music will not help you to read music as much as just reading music. I think everyone will agree that learning to read music is a difficult process. You have to associate the dot on the line with the name of a note and then associate that note name with a position on the fretboard and then play the note. Only by doing that again and again and again will it become easier. Getting a book on how to do it can be seen as putting the difficult process off.

A typical guitar score has two separate voices to read at the same time. It will be simpler to start with music that has a single voice. Traditional folk tunes are usually single voice scores. There are loads of collections of folk tunes on line and books to buy.

Here's another point. Read the same score more than a couple of times and you start to play from memory not from the score. It's easier. You need a lot of tunes and a lot of books of tunes for this to work.

If you can you should spend between 15 and 30 minutes a day reading and playing from the book. Play each tune just once then go on to the next.

When I did this I had four, maybe five, different books of tunes. When I finished one book I'd put it to the bottom of the pile and start on the next one. I was playing a fiddle but the reading transferred to the guitar without me actually trying.

I was in my early fifties at the time I was doing this and I was able to get my thirty minutes reading practice in each day before going to work. If you are younger you may well get the same benefit from ten or fifteen minutes of practice.

Good luck.

Last edited by stanron; 09-02-2018 at 06:15 AM.