View Single Post
Old 06-03-2017, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Nope.
My forearm is just connected to my elbow. My elbow is connected to my upper arm. My upper arm is connected to my shoulder. The shoulder is somewhat stationary in relation to my upper body. While playing, my thumb and fingers are in contact with the neck of the guitar which stabilizes things a bit at that end.

If my forearm is going down, it means that my elbow is going down. The elbow cannot go down and forward, on its own. It goes down and back, unless I disconnect my upper arm from my body, or push the elbow forward on purpose.

... well the elbow and arm could go forward, if I played holding the guitar above my head. The forearm could also pivot forward if I let go of the neck completely - but I'm not suggesting that people should do that for playing barre chords.
Depends on how you hold the guitar. I keep my elbow tuck in and pointed down most of the time as in the first three pictures.

If you hold your elbow forward away from the torso (as in the last picture) you may get some fret pressure by relaxing the upper arm. Won't be much though.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above