View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 02:21 AM

I have only had the chance to do a direct comparison between the cypress (solid GK Pro and laminate GK Studio) models. As much as I would like to say the Pro was much better sounding, the ones I compared were pretty close. Close enough that the difference could have been wiped out by a string change. So acoustic sound wise, I couldn't really justify the difference. The Pro does have a different preamp and while I used it for a rehearsal, I didn't get to gig it. Maybe a little nicer plugged in sound than the Studio but, once again, not a night and day difference.

No doubt, the Pro was a cleaner build with minimal run out, better wood grain and a cosmetically decent back and sides. The golpeador was nicely glued and no bubbles. By comparison, it is hard, but not impossible, to find a Studio without pretty serious run out (if that bothers you), imperfect grain and of course you get laminated back and sides. And a golpeador that may have bubbles and lift around the edges. In the end though, I didn't find the better build, solid back and sides, and wood cosmetic quality on the Pro translated into a really better sound. The improved cosmetics may be worth it. In my case, the GKs are working guitars that get smoke, sweat, dents and use so the cosmetics are not as important.

So with a do over, I would get another Studio. Maybe a negra is a different situation. Never got to try a Pro in rosewood.

hunter