View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

That Koa is good looking, Bruce - very nice flaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Mahogany is the true standard of the guitar world, IMO, and I am glad to hear that you, TJNies, have come to recognize it. This material comes in many flavors, and none is bad in my experience, but the "Tree" stands alone at the pinnacle. Fortunately, it was a very big tree, and there was quite a lot of it. I have to assume you have looked closely at pictures and have noticed that even the most mundane pieces of the "Tree" are very well figured. The best pieces of the "Tree" are spectacularly well figured, and that is what 2 of the three guitars I've made from the wood are. Actually, the 3rd guitars is made from as spectacular an example, but cut on the quarter instead of the face, so less impressive in appearance, though possibly structurally superior.

Some people say the "Tree" sounds like Brazilian rosewood rather than mahogany, but I suspect they may not be all that familiar with BRW. The "Tree" does have a significantly richer sound to my ear than typical mahogany, but not in the same way as BRW. And please remember I am referring to my own work, I have heard other maker's results that were quite different from my own. All three of my "Tree" guitars simply sound exceptionally beautiful, even in the body of my own work. There is simply no way I am aware of to convey the truth of this, but if one had one of these three guitars on the lap and played it for an hour and then went back to whatever else one usually plays, most people with any guitar experience at all would think it obvious. IMO, of course.
I'll second Bruce (not that a luthier of his experience needs it) that Honduran Mahogany from The Tree does not sound like Brazilian Rosewood. It's Mahogany, but a harder and denser variety that lends itself to more mids and overtones.