View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:27 AM

Default Recording Advice

Hello all you recording experts out there. I could use a little advice on getting quality recordings from my home studio.

Here is the junk I am using: Firestudio Tube recording interface, Adobe Audition 3.0, 2 Carvin Condenser mics (and one other "better" one that doesn't sound as good), Lexicon MX 200 reverb and a TC Electronics Pro Finalizer. I also have a huge EQ and tube compressor, but I don't know what to do with them. I think the Finalizer covers the compressing well enough.

Here is what I want to know:
* How do I filter my breathing out so I don't capture it in the recording? I am playing fingerstyle solo pieces and the mic picks up my fat @ss breathing.
* Do I need anything else or is the stuff I have good enough?

I took my first stab at a demo last night and posted it to www.myspace.com/chrislilly2. It is called Punchline Blues. Any advice on improving the sound quality? The performance isn't good enough, but I am not worried about that right now. I am just trying to get a recording process down that I can just repeat as I go through all of my tunes.

Thanks for taking the time to help a guy out.

Chris
Fingerpickers: Pat Donohue, Bob Evans, Tommy Emmanuel, Stephen Bennett, Masa Sumide, Eric Lugosch, Martin Taylor, Joe Pass, Jacques Stotzem, Laurence Juber, Rolly Brown, Tuck Andress, Ted Greene, Woody Mann

Rockers: Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan, Richie Kotzen, Joey Tafolla, Blues Saraceno, Andy Timmons

www.myspace.com/serikulus
www.youtube.com/fingerpickerguy