Thread: BRW musings
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 02:00 PM

Wade, as usual, nailed the basics - i.e., yes, BRW can sound different and special, but no, you don't find that with every BRW guitar, especially newers ones, and yes, other RW's can sound just as excellent in their own way.

I describe BRW this way: to my ear, and to use electric guitars/amps as an analogy, rosewood guitars typically sound like they a bit of "reverb" - a bit of added shimmer and harmonic richness as the note/chords decay. Mahogany guitars typically sound like they do not have reverb.

Reverb - well, there are good examples and bad examples; some amps have reverb that is metallic and clashy-sounding. Really good BRW guitars, to my ear, have the "best reverb" - lush, but not metallic, and the harmonic richness sounds full and intergrated, not spiky or clashy. To my ear, when I play poor examples of Indian Rosewood, for instance, the added ring can sound awful - like bad digital reverb slapped onto a guitar track in post-production. Yuck. The reverb from a good BRW guitar just emerges from the notes...