View Single Post
Old 01-18-2022, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
I have a fair number of songs in my repertoire. Some I play the way the original was done. Some I have "made my own." Then, there are the others...

I've been working on some Clapton numbers as he performs them on his latest release The Lady In The Balcony. I have been a Clapton fan for decades, and having heard that his physical battles with peripheral neuropathy have left him struggling to play guitar, his performances on this work are even more impressive! Watching the YouTube videos, I can see that he no longer has the reach and the dexterity that once garnered him the nickname "Slowhand." But you'd hardly know it because he's got such a mastery of the fingerboard, and an impeccable sense of phrasing.

I can pretty much play some of these note for note, but they don't sound like Clapton. In fact, they don't sound like me, either. I don't have perfect timing (otherwise I'd be a drummer), either, but I just can't figure out how he does it.

Is phrasing an intuitive thing, or is it something I can get? I've been playing almost as long as he has, but I'm nowhere near his caliber.
When listening to a recording of Clapton playing tap your foot to beats 1 and 3 , harder on 1 so you allways know which is the first beat and listen to where the stresses are. If you are playing the right notes, in the right places but it still doesn't sound right then it must be that you are playing all the notes at the same volume. Surly?