View Single Post
Old 01-18-2022, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Surprised that no one has said this yet...

The FIRST thing to do is to put a fresh battery in it! Always start with the easiest "fix" before progressing to the more involved...

And, just so you know - De-Oxit is terrific stuff but it will harm the finish... do whatever you have to do to avoid getting it on the guitar's surface. For tight places, I'll spray a bit into a tiny cup/bowl I've fabricated from foil or some such - even the cap to the De-Oxit works - then quickly (it will evaporate!) use a Q-tip or something like that to apply.
^^^^ Sage advice.

When working with jacks, I usually spray a plug (all by itself..not attached to a cable), then work the plug in and out of the jack, and give it a number of twists, while plugged in, to work the oxidation free. I do this maybe once a year or so, on all plugs and jacks, to keep them clean and protected.

If more is needed directly into the problem area, I may wrap a small rag around the area that can be messed up, holding the towel in place with one hand and and carefully spraying within that area, with the other hand, so there won't be any splatter affecting any other surrounding area. I still try to use short bursts.

While this stuff does evaporate fairly quickly, I still try to wait a minute or so, before powering up anything again, just to be sure - especially if I've sprayed directly into a plug.

Last edited by david57strat; 01-18-2022 at 01:16 AM.