View Single Post
Old 01-17-2022, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Well, what you're saying is also true "to a point." Maybe there are some styles out there (maybe Bluegrass?) that simply don't allow you to sound good through a piezo: I can't say there aren't, as I don't know everything. Certainly, playing like you need to drive the top is guaranteed to give you a crappy sound through a piezo. But I do know that saying "they all quack" is an incorrect generalization. My Crowdster doesn't quack. At all. And I play on a loud rock stage, with lots of dynamics, and I certainly don't play "lightly." It's hard to put into words, but there is an adjustment you can make to your attack that, in conjunction with other things (like knowing how to eq,) can give you an excellent acoustic sound with none of the quack people rightly complain about. But it's not automatic: it takes some trial-and-error to get the hang of it but when you do, you can have a very good acoustic sound.
Sorry, just to clarify. My point is that all UST pickups can quack. I just mean that they all share the same design so one isn't necessarily going to be better than the other. The Dtar Wavelength is one of the best, but that's not the pickup as it uses the Baggs Element. That design is better because of the 18v preamp. I am not familiar with the Crowdster, but looked it up and it said it uses a special designed Baggs pickup/preamp so I can't comment on it.