Thread: "Apartment" amp
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guitar View Post
Apartment? A Line 6 POD with a good set of headphones.
I agree with this 100%; you're not going to find anything that provides the huge variety of tones and FX you can get from one of these, from jazzy warmth to savage metal and all in between. They also make superb preamp-type tone/modeling pedals, best used with a compressor to mimic the tube 'sag'.

If there is a caveat or at least a caution, it would be that guitar through headphones-only can damage hearing if you're not careful. I once overdid it one night and had tinnitus for a couple days after....EEEEEEEEEEE.......

Another good, albeit unusual, choice might be the old Tubeworks TD-752 1x12 combo, IF you can find one (there's one on Reverb right now for $189.00 plus shipping). They sound quite good at lower volumes but also have the capability to get very loud indeed if you ever play out. Rated at 100W RMS and they're every bit of that, but being solid state, sound very clean at lower volumes and actually make decent acoustic guitar amps as well.

The clean channel is 100% solid state and maintains the tone whether you're playing at a whisper or blasting away; the distortion channel utilizes the circuitry of the famous Tubeworks 'Tube Driver' pedal , with a 12 ax7 preamp tube. Versatile as all get-out and quite inexpensive; I also like the fact that they only weigh about 20 lbs or so...nice & easy to load in and out at gigs.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass